Monday, June 18, 2007

Bride: Closing the Pocketfolds

This has been my latest obsession/fixation. I finally decided that Zots clear adhesive dots were sufficient (both in ease-of-use and in gripping strength) for holding the backing and invite to the pocketfold. But now how to close the flap itself?
FI and I received an invite to a wedding earlier this year that was a pocketfold with a bellyband. It looked really pretty--but it was a pain in the neck to take it off and then to put it back on. I have a feeling most guests didn't bother putting it back on--and then the outside looks naked and sad.
My parents received a pocketfold invite two years ago that had the bride and groom's names on a piece of cardstock attached to the outside. Somehow, the weight of that tiny card kept the flap shut and the invite flat.
I however, had no such luck.

I have no idea how she got it to stay flat. Moving on!
Lots of brides have pictures in their Knot bios of tying the pocketfold shut with ribbon (glue the ribbon to the outside; tie; voila):

Looks lovely, no? Well, my mom saw an invite that a friend had received, and the lazy friend hadn't bothered to retie the ribbon:


That's pretty sad looking. (Yes, anytime ribbon appears, fluffy creatures purr.)
My next idea was to use repositionable glue. Zig makes a product called "2 Way Glue" that is supposed to yield a permanent bond if you apply it when the glue is blue, but if you let it dry to clear it is supposed to give you a repositionable bond. Umm....not so much.
Finally, finally, I think we have a winner: good old-fashioned double stick Scotch tape. Put a little on the monogram cardstock, apply to outside of pocket:


Guests should be able to open the invite at least three-four times and close it again before the tape gets tired. Whew.
p.s. I have no idea why the pocketfolds look so strawberry-red-pink. They're a deep maroon--maybe it's the metallic reflecting with the flash?


And yes, zots--my favorite and most dependable product thus far.
6 Zots = Invite backing ready to be attached to pocketfold.


Attached to the pocketfold.


What it will look like once I get the invites printed and attached (more Zots!)

2 comments:

Still a Miss. said...

Ohhhh I like the red and brown. very different than what I have seen recently. I really like that combo!

Bar/Bride said...

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought that the merlot-wine color I'm going for would be so unusual, but I don't see a lot of other fall brides on the Knot boards using it either. Lots of people are using red-red, but I don't know of any other merlot-chocolate-ivory color-scheme brides!