Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Bride: Chiavari Chairs

I feel like I have finally succumbed to one of the most ubiquitous (possibly ridiculous?) bridal trends--the Chiavari Chair. As a comment on this story notes, the only people who know what a Chiavari chair is are event planners and brides. The chairs at my venue are fine--they're pretty comfortable and they're definitely not stained or hideous. But they're a maroon that clashes horribly with the maroon of the table cloths or napkins or whatever that I want. Plus, they're just not that exciting.



This is from a google image search for "maroon chair"--not exactly the same, but pretty close.













Which brought us to chair covers. I hate chair covers. I think they make a room look like it's unused or about to be painted. Especially if the tablecloths are a matching color. These aren't bad, and if this is from your wedding I'm very sorry to be insulting you. I just don't like them. Plus, my linens lady only has ivory in the tie-back silk kind, and while these would probably look much better once there were people wearing multi-colored outfits sitting in them to break up all the white, the tie-back kind always fit funny over rounded-top chairs.

Plus chair covers slip around and get askew and just...no. No chair covers.

So behold:
(Photo: google image search.) Doesn't it just shine with wedding happiness? (My Bar readers, all two of you, are quickly retreating. That's okay.)

(Photo: google image search.) Our reception site isn't super swanky, and I think the Chiavari chairs will help it look amazing. Plus the gold chair, the ivory cushion, a dark maroon or chocolate tablecloth...the colorization coordination thrills me to the point that I'm making up words ("colorization" anyone?).
Chiavari chairs are pricey. I think my linen lady quoted us $3.50-$4.00 for the chair covers and $1.00 for the sashes. I'm thinking the rented chairs will easily cost double. But I waaant these. And I'm willing to splurge on them. So there.
Oh yeah--they aren't very comfortable either.
But I can do this now:Photo credit: Firestonebride. There's no way anyone can convince me that chair covers or plain chairs look that pretty. (Reminder to talk to florist about putting swags on back of chairs--the Martha Stewart "perfect" and "pair" words hanging from the chairs is a bit crafty-country for me.)

2 comments:

Still a Miss. said...

This is so funny! I have been waitingto blog about this but just keep forgetting. But you hit the nail on the head with my dislike for chair covers. But hey to each his own. I have seen them done tastefully but I just knew they were not for me. but chiavari chairs in my neck of the woods are like $7-$8! Crazy talk.

Bar/Bride said...

No, exactly--they can be done tastefully, and sometimes they really do look fine. They just aren't for me. I'm expecting a $7-$8 quote too, but I've saved money on pretty much everything else, so I'm justifying. (Plus FI won't be seeing that particular bill.)