Sunday, May 27, 2007

Bar: The Fear Begins

I missed the first week of BarBri because I was traveling with the family (yes, FI got to spend a few weeks with the future in-laws, and he survived!). Before I left, several people were freaked out, several people were convinced it would be more chill than we expected, and most everyone was just kind of pretending it wasn't going to happen. Since my return I've talked to a couple of people, and they are universally freaked out. People whom I've never seen freak out about anything. Terror. Frustration. Completely overwhelmed. I am not a happy BB. I did take the Conviser with me and I did make a half-hearted attempt to read some Real Property and ConLaw, but now that the fun begins in earnest I'm so not ready. Law school is still school--you can skip class if you want, you can schedule your classes for sleep-in mornings or long weekends, and everything works out and you still graduate. Not that I did those things, of course. Ha. But bar studying seems like the beginning of preparation for what working will be like. I didn't like working very much. I liked my job and I liked the people, but working....ehh. So why am I entering a profession with one of the most demanding work schedules and with probably the poorest work-life balance track record outside high risk pregnancy OB? That's a question for another post.

So tomorrow, I shall hunker down and see what kind of catching up I can do before I attend my first class on Tuesday. I have the schedule, I have the books...but I also have a fluffy kitty who needs his tummy rubbed and an FI who wants to have a picnic. I need to start making rules for myself. I actually gave up reading blogs for Lent (sort of...) and I did really well with it, I think because it was cold turkey. If I were to let myself have one nibble, then I think I would have lost the whole game. So I think that's what I'll have to do with entertainment and bar studying--absolutely nothing until I'm done for the day. Otherwise I'll get completely sucked into my beloved Television Without Pity, Go Fug Yourself, and The Superficial. Speaking of which, I have two weeks of that to catch up on! That shall be my reward after I finish tomorrow's work.

But slightly bride-ish, I am vowing that I'm going to take sleep seriously. I really do feel better (and look better, hence the bride-ish-ness) when I've had enough sleep. And Denise is waiting for me tomorrow at 7!

No comments: