Saturday, June 2, 2007

Bride: Distraction City, Cha Cha Cha

FI is a bad dancer. Really, really bad. No redeeming features, whatsoever. Plus, he knows he's bad, so he's really self-conscious, which re-enforces it.

FI also knows that one of my dreams is to have a fabulously amazing first dance at our wedding. I could not have been happier than when he gave me dance lessons for the two of us for Valentine's Day. Based on our schedules, we picked a class at a local dance studio that is on Friday nights in June. The studio also offers a "wedding workshop" class that we could do in September too. When I was researching studios, FI was not into the idea of private lessons or the packages that include private lessons.

Well, there might be a switch on that. Tonight we spent 1/2 hour on the cha cha and 1/2 hour on the Foxtrot. A consequence of learning to cha cha is that you hear "cha cha cha" after every sentence. Cha cha cha. I loved it, and I'm really really pleased that FI seemed to have fun too. But oh boy, we are not good. I love to dance and I can feel rhythm, but this is very new, and I don't follow well b/c I'm so used to having to "pull" FI into leading me. FI....well, he's trying. He gets his feet mixed up a lot, and he can't count beats, and he seems to want to add odd hip swivels at various moments. But it was a hell of a lot more fun than bar studying, and I think it'll be good for us to learn something together where we both start out at basically the same level.

However, the private instruction/choreography....looking better and better. Next week we do the cha cha again and start something else. Hopefully my bar review and dancing will improve at the same pace! That would be awesome. Cha cha cha.

No comments: